Saturday, August 16, 2008

Progress Report #5

August 16, 2008...Water is still flowing through the culvert pipe...WHEW! So thankful that worked out well. I had a few moments when I actually thought, "Why on earth did we think we could do all this?" Followed by the exhilaration of realizing, "Wow, we actually DID this!" Which only gets us into more trouble because then I tell my hubby, "But we were able to do THAT...(referring to some crazy past project)...we should be able to do THIS"...(referring to some crazy FUTURE project that I've dreamed up). Fortunately, I think I'm winning him over to my ways...judging by our present circumstances, I think he's given up hopes of leading an "ordinary" life, perhaps he's even embracing the excitement of it all. (Let's just let him think it's all been HIS idea, shall we? It will be our secret). On to today's update...

The photo below is looking towards the property as if you've just turned into our driveway. The mass of green in the middle of the photo is wild rose bushes that will be removed as soon as we can move the Magnatrac across the culvert...which should happen sometime after Monday, when we hope to have stone delivered.

In this photo, you can see in the middle, an area that is lighter...that is where we've cleared a lot of brush and will be laying stone down for the driveway. It will bear to the left a bit around some trees, then to the right and straight up towards the house.

Here, Hubby is preparing to fell his largest tree to date. He is making the wedge-shaped cut on the downhill-side of the tree...hopefully it will fall in that direction.

Another view to see the size of the tree:

TIMBER-R-R-R-R-R-R-R!!!

Success!!! Now, on to cutting and stacking...

In one of the trees we cut today, I noticed this interesting pattern. What do you think it looks like? (I'm thinking of a forest creature here, folks!)
A (very) small portion of the wood we've cut this week:

Stay tuned,
Kris

No comments: