Monday, June 1, 2009

Paradise Lost...and Found

Regardless of the beauty of cloudless blue skies, the warmth of late spring sun on your face, and the heavenly cool breezes stirring the trees to ballet...you know it's not going to be a good day when you pull into your property and your neighbor starts screaming at you. Something about us driving our ATV on our (shared) right-of-way that they posted a "NO ATV" sign on provoked a reaction akin to the way I would react if someone was trying to abduct one of my children.

Wait a second...THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUR PARADISE!!! (There is no screaming in paradise!!!)

(Paradise lost.)

OK...stop...take a deep breath...try to stop your hands from trembling...then, think...

What should we do now? How to react?

I could tell you what I wanted to do...but I won't. I'm sure you can imagine. In our humanness, when attacked, it's either fight-or-flight. Hubby and I both hate conflict. Loathe it. Detest it. We're pretty much live-and-let-live kind of people.

But, on this day, in this situation, flight wasn't an option. We OWN that land. We SHARE the road with them. We are going to LIVE there and make it our HOME. We are not interested in being bullied, threatened, or harassed in any way. We are NOT going to tolerate it. We will be more than happy to discuss issues like mature, rational adults...but screaming...well, no thank you.

What should we do? What would YOU do?

Here's what we did...

We approached them. Talked to them. She ranted. We listened. He stood in the background. We reassured. She ranted. We listened. She threatened. We reassured. She ranted. She called him over. He came, reluctantly. (I don't think he likes conflict, either.) He spoke about the past. We listened. We reassured. I asked her not to scream at us...it's not very neighborly. She said she didn't scream. We told them we'd like to take them out for dinner...do something nice for them. She said we didn't have to be "that kind" of neighbors. We reassured. We told them we meant no harm. We reassured. We reassured. We reassured. She calmed down. He walked away. We gave our word. We parted.

I am thankful for the truth in Psalm 15:1..."A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous (harsh) words stir up anger."

How differently the scene would've been if we had unleashed the same verbal weaponry that she had. Had we let our feelings control our actions, it could've VERY quickly escalated into an ugly mess. They are angry people. They feel that they have been wronged. Perhaps not by us, but by others in the past. Doesn't matter...to some people, once you've been wronged, the whole world exists solely to wrong you. They will take everything personally...whether it is or not. They will imagine offenses just to have something to be angry about.

In my humanness, I don't like people like that. They make me very uncomfortable. I would not choose to be around them. But, deep down, I think they're just hurting. They can't honestly hate us...they don't even know us. I think there's been much disappointment in their life and they see us as just another irritant.

When I try to see them as God does, however, my heart softens. They are lost. Alone. Without hope. How can I be angry with them, knowing what lies ahead?

Perhaps they need to meet people who won't return evil for evil. Perhaps God's plan is bigger than us building this house. Perhaps He is giving us the privilege of being a conduit of His grace. Perhaps we can give them just a glimpse of Him...of who He is. Perhaps they need us. I KNOW they need HIM.

Yesterday was a rough day. We cut our work day short and went home just a few hours after arriving at the land. We did fell the few trees we wanted to, but didn't move and stack all the wood. Our hearts were heavy. Looking back, though, I see God's hand in it all. I'm thankful He gave us the power to remain calm. I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was, and I'm glad the neighbors were noticeably calmer after our confrontation.

Today, I am hopeful. I don't think we'll ever be the "hi-can-I-borrow-a-cup-of-sugar" kind of neighbors, but if we can peacefully co-exist without noticeable tension, I'll be content.

A magazine article from a few years back inspired me to look for tole trays - painted floral trays. The few I found in antique stores or on Ebay were not in my budget. I finally found one at a yard sale for $5, the colors were perfect, so I snatched it up instantly, and packed it into a box where it awaits its home on the wall in our master bath.

And, today, at the thrift store...another treasure found. A $1.99 tole tray, my second, and it will live in my kitchen. "So what?" you say..."Who cares?" "Why are you talking about stupid trays and what do they have to do with this post?"

I am convinced that God places things in our path for encouragement and to demonstrate His love for us. (And I'll bet some of you reading this have experienced it in your own life.) After our altercation yesterday, I felt a bit deflated. Perhaps we had made a mistake? Who are we to think we can move out there, build a house, raise chickens? How foolish! Perhaps we are just asking for trouble?

And then...the tray. A reminder that it's OK to dream, to make plans, to set goals and work towards them. It's like God said, "Here...don't give up. Keep planning...keep working...it'll happen...and I'll be with you, all the way."

(Paradise found.)

Stay tuned,
Kris

P.S. We received some good legal counsel today and were encouraged that we are doing the right things, and have nothing to fear from a legal standpoint. We are THANKFUL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can borrow a cup of sugar from us if you need! Seriously I'm glad you showed love in the face of anger. We're praying that the Lord would give you favor in their sight.