Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sometimes Life Gets Ugly...

Monday, July 13, 2009...Has anyone ever had to dial "911?" I did today. A 5-minute encounter along the road with the neighbor "lady"...(and I use the term loosely, believe-you-me)...escalated to the point of her threatening to "throw me on the ground and kick the sh-- out of me" at which point I told her I'd be calling the police, at which point she began screaming things at me that I won't even pretend to spell.

When she returned "home"...(again using the term loosely...those of you who dare to visit us after we're moved in will understand)...she was screaming further obscenities (perhaps she screamed the whole way down the road...she's got good lungs, if nothin' else), giving us the single finger salute, and proceeded to crank up her boombox as loud as possible and plop herself down in the front "yard"...(loosely, again)...on a lounge chair. I guess that's how she relaxes after a hard day of harassing the immigrants.

The first encounter was witnessed by my four children and a township worker who was trimming along the road and had to stop behind us while I was being tongue-lashed. The second encounter was witnessed by my husband and three Asplundh tree trimmers paving the way for our power lines. (They finished quickly and took off...I wonder why?)

If you've never had the experience of being hated...when someone just is disgusted by the very sight of you...well, I hope you never do. I don't think I've ever met a meaner, angrier, nastier person than this woman who will in a number of weeks be my closest neighbor.

Several years ago something like this would've been my undoing. Rocked me to the core. Made it difficult for me to function and dashed any hopes I had for a happy life there.

Not now.

Because it's not her opinion of me that defines me. It's HIS.

Romans 8:31a..."If God be for us, who can be against us?"

Romans 8:38-39..."For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

So, I made the call. (I was actually talking to 911 on the phone when she came down the lane cussing and waving). About half an hour later the officer arrived. Went to her "home" first. Stayed only a few minutes, but long enough to come to some conclusions of his own. Came up the hill and took my statement. He believed we should press charges, which would result in a $400 fine and an opportunity for her to appear in court. We decided that we'd like him to give her a warning this time, but let her know that any further accosting would result in swift action on our part.

He left our property and returned to hers. A lengthy discussion ensued. Providentially, her husband returned home just as the officer was leaving, and he talked to him at length, as well. I don't know if the officer will follow up with us, but I intend to call him tomorrow if I don't hear something. He will be filing a report and I am to call him if any further incidents occur.

In other news, I got viciously flogged by a rooster Friday morning. Getting flogged is painful, and I have the bruises to prove it. But, I'd rather be flogged than receive the tongue-lashing I received today.

At least we can EAT the rooster.

Stay tuned...who knows what will happen next?
Kris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe in 2 or 3 years you'll look back and laugh at this event with her during Bible study on your deck. God changed Saul to Paul after all. But don't you wish these things could happen on OUR timetable??